Sunday, April 13, 2008

CUSTOMER SERVICE PLEASE!!!!

Talking about Singapore being a service orientated industry... did they ever hear about this phrase that 'A hungry man is a ANGRY man?' What happened today just made me blew my top!

I woke up late in the morning craving for a full and complete subway meal and after completing whatever notes printings and errands, I finally made my way to Canteen A with a stomach that could have been nearly drowned in my own digestive juices. To my pleasant surprise, the Subway queue was not as long as I though. Yea. AS I THOUGHT.

For half an hour queuing, I only moved like ONE step! The queue was like - stagnant...is the shop even open?! I should have bought my notes along to read! The MacDonald's queue was like moving so fast and efficiently, while customers at the counter can take up to 10minutes to select and wait for their orders! What is this man. Normal Subway restaurants queue outside move at least three times faster!

So I decided forget it, at this rate it's far worst than queueing for free goodie bags! I went to the front to investigate, and guess what! Such horrendous customer service! They even dare to open the damn shop?! The staff are like taking their own sweet time to cut the bread, arranging nicely whatever stuffing that their customers have chosen and rewrapping, and I mean it REWRAPPING the sandwich! Do they have to be so perfect at the expense of efficiency? Whatever that goes down the stomach is going to be jumbled up anyway and its the goodness of the ingredients, not the way the ingredients are arranged in the bread that NO ONE CAN EVER SEE, that made student's patronise the restaurant! The staffs were even chit-chatting among themselves! What the hell... what kind of service is this? If I am the manager I'd be screaming in their faces and poking their butts! Fine, they may be new staffs, then all the more the management should be mixing new and old staffs to maintain the overall customer service standard in their restaurants! What's worst, when I see that auntie moving the tray up from the table to the shelf, she is doing it so freaking slow I think I'd have done the same movement three times already! Dammit. Should there be customer feedback forms I'd be gladly distributing them to everyone in the queue lar!

So fine! I'd switch to Macs then. Shockingly things did not get any better. There are big red stickers that were pasted on the floor in front of the counter and it says, in large and clearly legible words " Please queue to order". It would have been nice of them to show us the way, but not the wrong way! I queued up behind two guys who are placing the same orders (they are friends making their orders together...), however there was no one in behind the counter to serve us. So we wait. One of the guys got impatient and started to question the 'Fast Food' notation and Macs customer policies, including how he missed the 1-minute hour glass times. More than 5 mins later, finally a staff came, however she carried plastic bags filled with orders and shouted: "Who ordered a Big Mac and a Mac Chicken Meal?". So now this is weird, because no one in the queue ordered it. In fact the two guys did not placed any order. They too felt the weird situation and asked the staff if they can place their orders. Guess what the staff said: " Oh, this is not a order queue. This is a waiting for orders queue."

The way I see the two guys' face changed, I felt mine changing like theirs too. If that is not a order queue, why did they ever freaking paste such a big and impossible to miss red sticker bearing the expressed meaning for us to queue up before that counter, when it is NOT EVEN A ORDER QUEUE?! This is totally horrible! The guy in front fought it out with the staff, which made me feel that at least there is some justice being met out. He even shouted it's a total waste of time and criticised their customer service, which I fully agreed too.

Since there was nothing much to eat around and I wanted Macs, I just changed the queue and finally bought my lunch, which was like a freaking damned one hour later.

Come on man. Is this what, even we as locals, should be expecting from Singapore's service industry? Get a life.

No comments: