Monday, September 27, 2010

Virgin to launch space tourism in 18 months


KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - – Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson said Monday that Virgin Galactic is on track to offer commercial space travel within 18 months, and that space hotels are next on the drawing board.

Virgin Galactic, which aims to become the world's first commercial company to promote space tourism, has already collected 45 million dollars in deposits from more than 330 people who have reserved seats aboard the six-person craft.

Branson also has visions of establishing hotels in space, which well-heeled tourists can use as a base for shuttle flights over the moon.

"We are looking at hotels in space. We love the moon," the tycoon said


I had aspired to be an astronaut in my early primary school days... a weird ambition for a little girl isn't it? I remembered being amazed by this planetary book I had, and being the only kid in class who could name all the planets in order to my science teacher. Perhaps what I wanted was to be at the top of the world, able to admire mother earth, and the other mysterious yet beautiful planets, moons and stars with my very own eyes.
But somehow along the way I lost it. I'm not sure why...
I no longer aspire to set foot in space anymore. Perhaps I was influenced by my church teachings... that we should not disturb the peace of space, God's magnificant creation. Perhaps after all the spaceshuttle explosions I was a tad frightened. Perhaps its because as I grew older I understood all the possible dangers and high risks of the adventure.
Such that I am actually against Richard Branson's space empire ambition. It sounded to me like Gundam.... are we going to act like God and build a 'man-made planet' in the near future? Isn't Earth with all the wonderful colours, sights and smell, good enough a place to live in?

No comments: